Monday, January 31, 2011

What is it with Fructose?

I have been doing a lot of reading about nutrition for the last several years.   The latest and greatest weight loss books in particular always grab my attention.  I must read what they have to say.  They all claim to be experts. They all have proof that there method works best. Call me skeptical.  All of them can't be right, Can they?  We are in the age of  EXTREME everything.  Immediate gratification, give it to me now.   It's seems like everyone has to lose weight as quickly as possible.  We are already half way sold just because we desire it so much.  Experiment as much as we can, but we have to be smart about it.   Good advice is good advice.  When it sounds too good to be true it usually is not true.


Fruit is a bit of a sore spot for many nutritionists.  Or so it seems.  More and more I have been running across the "sound advice" to stay away from fruit.  Never eat fruit.  It is worse than sugar.  It will make you diabetic or obese.   ...then they discuss there supposed proof.  Maybe it is just me?  If you are going to put down fruit for its lack of (?)nutritional contribution then do your studies on fruit, ....NOT FRUIT JUICE!  Every time I read about experiments with fruit juice I cringe.  How can they conclude that whole fruit is bad?  As soon as you juice anything, in my opinion, it is no longer whole.  Many of the benefits are lost, and we almost always end up consuming mostly sugar in the form of fructose.  The natural balance altered by juicing.

Cutting down on fruit can have its benefits in weight loss.  That is not rocket science.  There is a fair bit of sugar (or fructose) in all fruit.  Unrefined, natural sugar.  Eat less fruit if we must.  I'm just saying that if we are having problems with our weight it is highly unlikely it is do to eating too many bananas.  Eating whole fruit is beneficial in maintaining  healthy energy levels.  It's better to eat them than most other things found in pantries across the world.

All fruit is designed for human consumption.  It attracts our attention naturally.  Our bodies digest it well and the nutrients get delivered to our blood stream relatively quickly, making it great for energy.  I for one will never stay clear of anything whole that nature has to offer.  Eating only fruit or no fruit at all is just too extreme for me.  I will stick to moderation.  After all, it has kept me healthy for years.

No comments:

Post a Comment