Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Is it time to say Good-bye to Dairy?

Dairy has played a big part in my eating program.  It is rare that a day goes by without me eating a moderate amount.  My daily protein intake is enhanced greatly by all the yogurt that I eat.  I enjoy the flavor and the benefits.

Milk, yogurt and cheese are my top choices.  I do pay very close attention to the fat content though.  Dairy products may contain high amounts of fat.  Lucky for us there are fat free and low fat alternatives for all of them.  Some are not very tasty and others taste quite good. The nutrients remain intact in the fat free versions.

Calcium appears to be the number one reason dairy is a recommended part of a healthy diet. Dairy is also a good source of iodine as well as vitamin D and K and B12 and riboflavin.  We then must assume that our body can absorb all the minerals and vitamins and reap their benefits.  That, as well as it being a good source of protein makes low fat dairy a good choice in my books.

Some individuals have some problem digesting the milk protein, casein. In those cases it would be best to avoid it altogether.  RAW foodies seem to believe this intolerance is do to the lack of natural enzymes in our milk.  The dairy that we buy goes through a sterilizing process before packaging called pasteurization.  This kills all the harmful germs and bacteria that can make us sick or worse.  It is correct that the good digestive enzymes are also destroyed.  Usually I like to stay away from processed foods. This is one modification that I agree is very necessary.   I still think it is better to be safe and avoid the possibility of getting sick.

The Canadian and American food guides all recommend dairy.  It is considered an essential part of our daily diet.  Do I think it is essential?  .....Probably not. We could live a long healthy life without it.  I just wouldn't want to.  It tastes great and is very satisfying.  The energy I get from it is very sustainable.

No comments:

Post a Comment